March 23, 2015

Little Italy


It's been a while since I've taken and posted photos of Little Italy and Nolita, though I've walked through the neighborhood, which is cut across by parts of Chinatown and SoHo, since then. Little Italy is a historic neighborhood. The Italian heritage is most easily visible in the Italian restaurants lining Mullberry Street, which are flanked by men advertising them. I noticed the cafes more this time around, with one of them claiming to have the best cannoli in New York. Also of note was the building art.

New York Corners: 
In photographing Little Italy this past weekend, I realized that I visited Ferrara Bakery and Cafe with friends here on my birthday a few years ago. I was also reminded of how my closest friend and I ate in one of the restaurants in the neighborhood and of how I enjoyed the atmosphere (candles on tables in a dimmed room, surrounded by large windows). I remember photographing the outside of old St. Patrick's Cathedral with my Olympus camera, surprised by the results. I remember admiring the statue of Puck in 2011 and realizing in 2015 that he stands on the  REI site, where I bought my umbrella for my California trip. I remember walking by adorable wall art earlier this year and then stumbling into McNally Jackson while cutting through the neighborhood.

These are my little corners of New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment